Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The status screen is done and functional! It even doesn't crash the game. So, basically, there's a new option called "status" in the battle screen, that you can target any battler and get a list of all of the status effects on that battler and the effects they have. I managed to get it generalized so it just runs through the list of statuses that person has, and if there's a description text it outputs that to a text box. (Also, it doesn't take an action, so use it as much as you need to)

The database is also working properly, and filled out with both class descriptions and journal entries about the plot-so-far. Accessible from the main menu, and updating as the player proceeds through the game.

I've also done something of a Mesmerist class rework; to be honest, what was there was pretty boring in terms of mechanics. The new spells are basically toggles; activate one on an ally or enemy and it will drain mana over time to have some continuous effect, and cast it again to turn it off and stop draining mana. Probably horribly unbalanced in its current state, but most things are at first implementation.

A few other minor updates in terms of icons, bugfixes, and some dialogue touch-ups round out the work of the past few days. If all goes as I hope, I should be doing the alpha testing on the next version very soon, with a releasable version not far after.

While I've done my best to maintain save compatibility between versions, I'm pretty sure the combination of the status screen and the database, plus bugfixes, will break old saves. What I plan to do is include a couple of my own saves in the download so that people have the option to skip to the later content if they want to. It won't give the optimal experience because building your party as you go is sort of the intended theme, but I recognize that some people won't want to play the same content repeatedly as new versions come out, so I figure I'll give the option at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment